Alexander Harrowell wrote:

> I was a little surprised, using Vodafone LTE as a backup link
> yesterday morning, to see "Read 1.2.3.50" from my web browser.
> 1.2.3.50 isn't a Vodafone netblock and is actually an APNIC debogon.
> Squatting in 1/8 is a bit dated isn't it?

I'm surprised you're surprised.

The reason APNIC won't allocate 1.2.3.0/24 is because of the huge amount of
squatting on it. We did some research into the amount of squatting, using
reverse DNS queries from DITL data, some time before we got to the last score
of /8s. 1.in-addr.arpa was getting the third highest amount of traffic back
then.

http://www.uknof.org.uk/uknof9/Vegoda-Unallocated.pdf (slide 8 of 12)

We also got lots of messages from lawyers telling us that we were running warez
sites hosted at 1.1.1.1 or 1.2.3.4. Presumably these came from lawyers who were
too cheap to pay to use the WiFi in the airport and believed what nslookup
showed them. APNIC is welcome to those messages.

Regards,

Leo