From: uknof [mailto:uknof-boun...@lists.uknof.org.uk] On Behalf Of Robin
Williams
Sent: 07 September 2015 15:27
To: uknof@lists.uknof.org.uk
Subject: [uknof] Openreach withdrawal of FTTC CPEs

What are the thoughts of smaller OR CPs represented here regarding the
withdrawal of Openreach FTTC CPEs as an option?

To me it seems like a backward step, and while the big volume boys may well
want to provide their own quad play CPEs (and avoid having two boxes etc), for
smaller operators, the Openreach provided CPE had a lot of benefits - it was a
circuit provided end-to-end by Openreach which included the CPE equipment as
part of the support.

The removal of the option to receive the CPE means we go back to the line-only
'please check your equipment' and SFI visits days (arguing whose fault it is).
It also means for each site install the CP needs to send out an engineer to
site with a CPE (smaller CPs may not always have local engineering), or
alternatively use costly BT project managed services for 'while we're here'
installation, meaning more cash goes to Openreach by default.

It feels somewhat as if this is a decision which has been made with larger
operators in mind.  It would seem to make more sense if the supported CPE was
an order option rather than withdrawing it entirely.

If this is something people are concerned about, it's worth raising your
concerns with your Openreach CRM, the OTA (http://www.offta.org.uk/) and the
FCS (http://www.fcs.org.uk/ - the FCS attend Openreach forums on behalf of
small CPs).  It was indicated to us that sufficient voices may change the
stance.

Of course, it may just be us that doesn't like it :)

Cheers,
Robin.