On 12/09/2015 07:37 AM, Pete Stevens wrote:
>> tl:dr; Journalists are idiots, read something else
> Did you respond to the wrong mailing list? I don't give a shit

Can we tone it down a bit folks, please ?

> Members of UKNOF are giving evidence on the IPBill today.

To be clear, while we are having a session at UKNOF33 which will attempt
to shed light on the potential _operational_ impact of the IPBill, UKNOF
does not take public policy positions. Any UKNOF participants who give
evidence will be doing so in their own right, and not in the position of
a "member" or any kind of representative of UKNOF.

> Either way, it's a gentle push to suggest that if some accurate and
> helpful information could be released to the community / public, it
> might be helpful to do so sooner rather than later to counter
> misinformation that is already out in the public domain.

Indeed, in the absence of detailed public statements, analyzable data
would be a good thing. What's baffling me about these attacks is the
motivation - it's very much the season for online shopping extortion
attacks, and what happened to the root last week suggests there's a lot
of DDoS generally going on right now, but its not clear what's to be
gained from taking out academic infrastructure. I hope it's not some
deadline-shy undergrad using a booter site to avoid their assessments
("the DoS ate my homework"...), but sadly such things are not
inconceivable these days.

Keith