Hello,

BT stocks of FTTC VDSL2 modems are already scarce in some BT Openreach
engineering circles and we have had recent installs where the engineers
have not supplied a modem, despite their contract to supply with new
installs until 'March' and then support till 2017.

Please excuse the below as it is may be more suited to Cisco-NSP (we
utilise Cisco CPE for our CE devices);

This appears to have thrown up an interesting problem in so far that
turning to integrated devices such as the Cisco 887VA-M  or Cisco 897 which
are "approved and certified for use with BT GEA/FTTC and compliant with
SIN498", do not appear to support q-in-q across the VDSL ethernet interface.

The configuration examples I have reviewed and limited testing carried out
thus far show VLAN 101 tagged on the VDSL ethernet interface as per the BT
SIN requirement but there is an inability to tunnel additional VLANS across
this interface/VLAN cleanly, which is a requirement for the service we
provide.

I have raised the issue with Cisco to see if there is a work around or
something obvious with regards to configuration that I am missing but this
has not turned up anything positive so far.

In the event that Cisco CPE cannot meet our requirements (without having to
resort to hacky work arounds) I am also investigating obtaining a supply of
VDSL2 modems but this is also proving challenging with ECI quoting a high
minimum order quantity and Huawei unable to supply due to the Echolife
HG612 being 'EOL'.

Anyone out there trunking multiple VLANs to a CE over FTTC, in a similar
position?

Thanks.

--
Alistair Cockeram