James,

James Bensley wrote on 24/05/2016 10:01:
On 23 May 2016 at 11:14, Paul Mansfield <paul+uk...@mansfield.co.uk> wrote:
On 23 May 2016 at 09:59, James Bensley <jwbens...@gmail.com> wrote:
as IPv4. On lots of our Cisco edge devices there are bugs present that
relate to IPv6 traffic processing problems, or just the fact that IPv6
is enabled. The Junos kit is more mature and seems pretty bug free. In

we need early adopters to find the bugs. If people wait until v6 is
really mature and solid, they'll be lagging in the skills and
experience to successfully roll it out.
now is a good time for ISPs to be rolling it out at least in trials,
to test their equipment and train their own staff, whilst the
customers adopting it tend to be the clueful ones who are aware it's
imperfect and so likely to be a little more helpful and forgiving.

I definitely agree with you there. However with all these problems it
makes it difficult to make progress. I've had internal discussions
about pushing out IPv6 internally everywhere to save on v4, however I
get met with mostly resistance. $dayjob is more of a "managed service
provider" than a more traditional telco/ISP, which basically means "we
only do what's good for revenue, based on what customers say" - and of
corse a tiny fraction of customers jump up and say "I demand IPv6".

On this, I am utterly of the opinion that the opinions of your customers are really irrelevant here. It's not like companies waited for their customers to say they wanted CGNs, nor do they ask if they want IPv4.

Customers want connectivity, it's up to the provider to decide how they're going to deliver that connectivity and it's up to the customer to decide if that connectivity is worth paying for.

People don't want IPv6, they want connectivity. So the notion of "waiting for customer demand" is, to my mind, a trap and a great way of making sure that nothing will ever happen. (Please note, I'm not saying you're saying this!)

So, yes, customers want services at a good price. The vast majority of them simply don't care via what colour pipe those services are delivered, so don't worry about that part of the equation, worry about all the others! :)

Brian