James Bensley <jwbens...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I search an IRR (RIPE specifically) for the AS-SET that
> contains $ASN using native "whois" ?

whois is a very movable feast, so it's usually impossible to make
statements about it that are true in general. e.g. FreeBSD and Debian have
very different `whois` implementations, and a very large proportion of the
behaviour depends on the server you are talking to and servers vary a lot.

> For example - AS51551, I want to peer with them so I want their AS-SET
> so that I can accept their routes, and all downstream customer routes.
> I personally know it is called "AS-UPDATA" but I can't find any option
> that will let me find that without knowing it in advance, or by
> guessing it, e.g. most AS-SETs are called NETWORK-AS, AS-NETWORK,
> ASNETWORK etc.

In this case, the direct way to query this in theory would be with the
options `-T as-set -i members AS51551` however this fails because the RIPE
database doesn't allow you to make an inverse query on the members field.
But if you query for AS51551 you can see that it mentions the AS-UPDATA in
a few export lines which gives you the as-set name to query for. Or you
can guess that the aut-num and as-set objects have the same mntner, and
query `-T as-set -i mnt-by MNT-UPDATA`.

Alternatively you can use RIPE's full-text search but I think that's
web-only.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Cromarty, Forth, Tyne: Southwesterly 5 or 6, occasionally 7 later. Slight or