On Mon May 18, 2020 at 12:48:32pm +0000, Catalin Dominte wrote:
> I am looking for a someone who can offer optical spectrum from Docklands (any
> of the usual subjects) to Equinix Williams House in Manchester. My client
> wants to put a 50Ghz coherent device at either end, so the supplier would
> allocate a channel on their existing infrastructure. Not many people seem to
> advertise this, one exception I?ve found is Colt:
> (https://www.colt.net/product/spectrum/)
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions for who it?s worth talking to about this apart
> from Colt?

We did this at $prev_job (actually a national ring, but including Docklands and
Williams House), but as you found, it's not widely sold.

The challenge is that you're piggy-backing on someone else's optical network,
and depending on their amplification and (potentially) regeneration platforms.
To not affect the other uses of the optical spectrum, they will need to work
with you to balance optical levels on different wavelengths, so as to not
unbalance their amps, etc.

You're probably better off finding smaller players who have taken leases on
dark fibre and running DMDM on that path, and see if they'll work with you. For
example, I believe Commsworld (Hi Charlie!) have this path and are running a
DWDM on it.

Simon