Matt Carlin wrote on 03/07/2020 15:48:
...And just after typing up the paragraph above, I'm able to ping 151.101.192.81 (bbc.co.uk) with packets up to 1472 bytes, but no
higher. I still can't ping the name though.
1472 payload is what you would expect from an end-to-end MTU of 1500 bytes, so it's unlikely to be an MTU problem.

There's a lot that can go wrong on cable systems. The usual problems relate to poor SNR due to cable plant faults. These are very localised and will only affect small areas. If there are more widespread issues, then there may be problems affecting connectivity into the head-end, which would be more generic layer 3 connectivity issues rather than anything specific to cable plant or the CMTS farm.

Nick