On 24/09/2020 21:45, Tom Hodgson wrote:

>> Both my Google-foo and memory are failing me.  Can anyone fill me in on who
>> has (owns and/or leases from the owner) fibre on the WCML?  I could have
>> sworn that Level3 had something to do with it but it seems the various
>> industry acquisitions have changed that (or simply that I am
>> mis-remembering).  I have found plenty of networks that have fibre on the
>> gas route (what was 186k, then Geo, then I think Zayo?) in the area I am
>> interested in but that’s about a mile away from where I need to be.
>>
>> Extra credit if anyone can furnish me with a .kml showing said route and
>> where else it connects with!
>
> Is https://www.lumen.com/en-us/resources/network-maps.html of any use in
> giving an idea of the routes?

Huh, do you mean Lumison? ;)

Im sure other will have better recollections of the acquisition history, but
mine suggests the origin of these routes was

Lumen < CenturyLink < Level3 < Global Crossings < Racal Telecom < BR
Telecommunications

An early annual report from GBLX
(https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1269527/000119312506082317/d20f.htm)
has some interesting details, such as:

"The lease to us by Network Rail (which owns the United Kingdom’s railway
infrastructure) of fiber optic cable and ancillary equipment and our capacity
purchase agreement with them which enables our use of the copper cable and
PABXs comprise a key set of contractual documents in our relationship with
Network Rail. The deed of grant is a related agreement that gives us wayleave
rights until at least 2046 that permit us to maintain existing leased and owned
fiber and network equipment and to lay new fiber and install new equipment,
subject to specified payments to Network Rail"

:)