From: Ben Oliver <b...@bfoliver.com>
Sent: Monday, 16 November 2020 14:42
To: UKNOF Mailing List
Subject: [uknof] Fixed Wireless Access

Does anyone here have any experience with Fixed Wireless Access?

We have very poor ADSL in our (residential) building at the moment, people are
getting speeds of around 5 down / 0.1 up. This has been awful while trying to
work from home; I have ended up using a couple of Mikrotik WAP LTE kits with
unlimited SIM data plans instead.

A local ISP is proposing to fit their wireless equipment to the roof to give
us 100Mb/s (not sure if this is total or per household, trying to find out.
 From the website I suspect it would be 200Mb/s shared between roughly ten
households).

Ordinarily I'd be holding out for FTTP but we're in a listed building and it's
hard to see it happening any time soon. We've been contacted before about this
but the management co. don't seem interested and I doubt there are enough
people living here for any ISP to make a good ROI. It's frustrating because
were are in the city centre, and a line runs nearby.

My questions are:

- Is FWA reliable enough to depend upon?
- Would it be an upgrade over my SIM card setup (where I average about
   50Mb/s)?

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated. They are currently trying to
measure interest and I'm wondering whether or not to get onboard.