On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 at 16:15, Paul Mansfield <paul+uk...@mansfield.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 at 12:22, Will Hargrave <w...@harg.net> wrote:
> >
> > A reminder as much for myself as anyone else:
> > https://wiki.uknof.org.uk/Charter
> > “UKNOF's remit is technical, and any discussion or activities
> > involving commercial, legal or political issues should be limited to
> > where they have a direct impact on technical aspects of network
> > operations.”
>
> that's a good reminder. I wasn't seeking comments on the political
> things, or asking for commercial discussions, I was only aiming to see
> what technical issues people had encountered which indirectly might be
> driven by regulatory or political issues.
> .. such as having to reroute traffic or reestablish peering
> arrangements because of the EU/non-EU traversal. A bit vague, sorry.

There's no reason there should be - the UK terminates* cables from the US
and nominally Africa already which are not part of the EU or dependent upon
any UK EU law. Most services that you buy are done with a local office (so
their problem how they deal with their foreign parent company), and when
they're not there's no difference - you can contract with a NY company for
services in the UK (technically they as supplier need to be tax compliant).

*physical telecoms on public land has its own regulations but you will find
underneath it a UK company with UK permits.

Steve