On Tue Feb 07, 2023 at 10:45:48AM +0000, Paul Brennan wrote:
> When considering both planning and operation, how much db is required to
> operate a steady and reliable service once you take the light budget and
> measured loss into consideration.

How long is a piece of string?

> PON SFPs Optics rated for ? 31db (power budget) - What is the maximum
> tolerated loss and still have a working service at the full speed, latency,
> etc of the rated optic?

So my expectation here is that you can have 31dB of loss between sender and
receiver (taking into account fibre, splitter, splice and patch loss) and have
a reliable service.

You will probably find that it'll also work with more than 31dB of loss, but
that's not guaranteed.

Maximum link budget is generally taken as the difference between the minimum
transmit level (because this is quoted as a range on the specs) and the
minimum receieve level. You may be lucky and have transmitters that transmit
above the minimum TX level, and receivers that'll receive below the minimum
RX level.

Simon

--
Simon Lockhart |   * Server Co-location * ADSL * Domain Registration *
   Director    |  * Domain & Web Hosting * Connectivity * Consultancy *