Sort of related ...

Again Cityfibre civils contractors have been digging up many streets in the
towns near where I live.

But last week a van turned up in our street (20yo estate) and started deploying
fibre into the Openreach ducts.  I checked with them and indeed it was on
behalf of Cityfibre.  I presume they do so with permission, and maybe it's even
a specific agreement: a couple of years ago, Virgin dug new ducts through every
street with access at every house and it caused chaos.  I guess Cityfibre are
going to be able to use the small duct to the houses too from the main route in
the street.

And as well as Virgin, we also had OR provision FTTP a couple of years ago, so
that will be three high-speed services available here.

I went a walkaround for work purposes with an OR engineer a while back in the
city centre, he was looking for the T-node which wasn't in the place documented
so had to pop a few lids.  Every time there were other provider fibres in
there, and he tutted and grumbled that while everyone else was "allowed to use"
OR ducts, they were not permitted to use anyone else's.  This seemed a little
odd to me at the time, since if everyone could use OR ducts generally, there
surely wouldn't be the need for so much digging.  So perhaps this grant is only
in certain areas, like city centres.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,

Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
number SC015263.