Hello All

Some time ago, one of our members shared with me an interest in
Agriculture, and to be more specific, regarding the 'Potato Blight
during the Famine years of 1846-49'. I have extracted quite a number
of articles relating to this, as to  cause and effect. Suffice it to
say, that in the newspapers of the times this was an extensively
discussed topic, throughout the world.

It certainly was not the only famine, nor the only time, that the
'blight' caused severe difficulties for our farmer ancestors. I see
from the news that as recently as 1910, the potatoes in Ireland, were
diseased.

Over the next while, I shall send in parts my extracts. It has been a
project I've been working on daily, for the last few weeks.

I'll begin with the total number of acres of the crops grown in Ulster in 1847.

Agricultural Produce in Ireland for 1847

Acres of wheat

Antrim 10,336
Armagh 12,216
Cavan 3,531
Donegal 5,816
Down 20,543
Fermanagh 6,593
Londonderry 5,998
Monaghan 6,436
Tyrone 6,737

Acres of Oats

Antrim 107,615
Armagh 83,7734
Cavan 99,753
Donegal 113,080
Down 163,473
Fermanagh 45,164
Londonderry 100,432
Monaghan 87,752
Tyrone 156,304

Acres of Barley

Antrim 5,280
Armagh 3,792
Cavan 515
Donegal 8,456
Down 15,847
Fermanagh 571
Londonderry 3,297
Monaghan 2,490
Tyrone 1,380

Acres of Flax

Antrim 2,516
Armagh 6,833
Cavan 1,625
Donegal 10,973
Down 5,950
Fermanagh 1,221
Londonderry 8,395
Monaghan 6,723
Tyrone 9,463

Acres of Potatoes

Antrim 14,393
Armagh 9,652
Cavan 5,206
Donegal 10,983
Down 13,741
Fermanagh 3,681
Londonderry 8,991
Monaghan 6,436
Tyrone 14,101

Acres of Turnips

Antrim 14,414
Armagh 10,661
Cavan 5,960
Donegal 15,588
Down 21,575
Fermanagh 3,575
Londonderry 12,766
Monaghan 7,424
Tyrone 15,297

Acres of Mangel wursel
(from wikipedia ...Mangelwurzel, also called mangold, mangel beet,
field beet, fodder beet and root of scarcity is a cultivated root
vegetable. It is a variety of Beta vulgaris, the same species that
also contains the red beet and sugar beet varieties.)

Antrim 320
Armagh 247
Cavan 129
Donegal 96