As is apparent from these extracts the Pototoe Blight actually began in
1845.

15 Oct. 1845 - the Potatoe disease

Derry- We have heard with extreme pain that the decay in the potato crop,
of our exemption, from which we lately boasted, has exhibited itself pretty
extensively in this locality. In some instances, whole fields have been
lost, which a week or two ago appeared to be in a healthy state. The
disease has been confined in some places to the late set potatoes, while
the early ones have escaped. From every part of the country complaints are
now heard of the failure of the potato crop and we fear that the calamity
will be attended with the most deplorable consequences, unless means are
taken by the government to provide an additional supply of food at a cheap
rate for the poorer classes
Derry Sentinel

It is observed by some of our correspondents that the water in which
potatoes are boiled has an offensive odour and advice is given how to
proceed in such cases. We, too, must offer a word of counsel. All potatoes
which render offensive the water in which they are boiled are beginning to
decay. The disease is present, although it may not be visible and we doubt
whether any precautions can prevent their putrifying after a few weeks.
Such potatoes should not be stored, but consumed immediately; and those
only put away for the winter in which no such symptoms are discoverable. A
few samples can easily be boiled for the purpose of ascertaining the
condition of the crop. The practice of storing potatoes in "pits" is one
which though very convenient, requires great care in such seasons as the
present; it is the custom in many parts of the country and especially with
small fields or patches of potatoes, to collect them as soon as dug up,
into a heap in the centre of the field, where space has previously been
partially dug out to receive them and when the whole is thus collected
together, they are covered over with earth pressed smooth with the spade on
the sides. We cannot too strongly urge on all who are now taking up
potatoes the importance of keeping them out of the earth for a few days
previously to storing them, of drying them as much as possible, and sorting
out all that appear in any way diseased. Considering the infectious nature
of the potato rot and the rapidity with which it sometimes spreads, the
extra time and trouble consumed in doing this will be well bestowed. if it
enables us to save a portion of the crop The custom of storing the potatoes
in the same field in which they have grown is decidedly objectionable;
being very likely to develope rot in them, in all cases where the rot has
manifested itself, even though but to a slight extent; it is far better to
store the sound potatoes in a separate piece of ground. If this cannot be
done, the risk of danger may probably be diminished by lining the sides and
bottom of the place dug to receive them with newly burnt charcoal to a
depth of 3 or 4 inches; it is, however, by far better not to store them in
the field where they grew.

It seldom happens that any notable epidemic in animal or vegetable
organisms is so clearly traceable to its causes as the potato murrain. We
see, nevertheless, that there is a diversity of opinion as to the share in
the operation to be assigned to the several agencies. It cannot be wet
alone, for much wetter summers have occurred within these few years without
harm to the potato crop. It cannot be cold only, because the average
temperature has certainly not fallen below the rate of districts and
counties where the vegetable is always successfully cultivated; nor has
there been, as your correspondents observe, any remarkable development of
sensible electricity. But of all the incentives to a healthy vegetation,
what has been so much wanting for the last two months of July and August as
light? not merely of bright sunshine, for of that there was hardly any, but
even the ordinary quantity of daylight was wanting; so dense and black was
the overcast day after day through this long period, a time when the
vegetable world is in expectation and generally in the enjoyment of its
fullest share of both of light and heat. The transient warmth of June gave
a predisposition to disease, by imparting greater sensitiveness or
excitability to the plant. Doubtless another ingredient in the mischief was
the absence of the usual ground-warmth that cherishes the vegetation of a
more favoured season. There is every reason to believe that the calorific
rays penetrate the clouds and impinge on the eoil when the general
diffusion of sunlight is not correspondingly powerful. Every practical
gardener will observe that at the end of even a very dull day, in the
middle of summer, the temperature of the soil on the surface far exceeds
the warmth of the air, and even surprises him its excess over the
temperature of the same soil in the morning. It will be said that in a dull
day there is less radiation from the surface than in a clear one, and
thence the accumulated warmth. It may be doubted if the difference in the
ratio of light and warmth as transmitted through a cloudy atmosphere can be
so accounted for, and the subject requires further investigation. Were it
not for this aptitude to receive the warmth of the sun in the absence of
the strong light of that luminary, it must be supposed that the soil must
have been far below the average warmth during the past summer; so far as to
be productive of still more extensive mischief than has yet accrued from it.
Gardener's Chronicle

17 Oct. 1845 Potato Blight

Londonderry Oct. 15th - We regret to say that, since our last, we have
received accounts of this alarming disease prevailing to a greater extent
than had been expected, within a circle of 20 miles, or so, around this
city. In what may be called the neighbourhood, several fields have suffered
from the attacks; and about Dungiven and in various parts of Ennishowen,
the loss which it has caused is very great.

Banbridge Oct. 14th - Three weeks ago our neighbourhood was happily
blessed, in consequence of being free from the dreadful malady, which was
reported as having ruined the principal part of the potato crop in foreign
countries. However, we lament to find that, within these last eight or ten
days, the epidemic has made its appearance over the whole of this part of
the country to an alarming extent. You could scarcely meet a farmer, who
does not state that his potatoes are diseased, in the proportion of 1 to 4,
and, in many instances 1 to 2. We have conversed with several respectable
farmers, not only in this immediate neighbourhood, but also the counties of
Armagh and Tyrone, all of whom give it as their opinion, that so rapid is
the spread of the disease that it infects a field in almost the
unprecedented period of 24 hours. I spoke to one farmer, who had 8
dliferent kinds of seed planted in one field, and on the disease making its
appearance he immediately tried all the sorts, and found them deficient to
at least one-third of the whole and gives it his opinion, that, if the
disease go on progressively, in the course of one month, he will not have
one sound potato. Our market thronged every day with potatoes, which would
have given 3d. per stone about three weeks ago. At present they would not,
in many instances, be purchased even at 1d. per stone.

Clogher Oct, 16th - In this neighbourhood a great quantity of the potatoes
are diseased. We have known them to be sound enough in the evening, and to
be rotten the next morning. There is scarcely a field in this part of the
country in which some of them are not damaged.

That's all for today

Teena

These articles are transcribed by Teena from the Banner of Ulster, Dublin
Evening Mail, Dublin Mercantile Advertiser, Freeman's Journal, Northern
Whig, and the Tyrone Constitution. (unless otherwise noted)

--
www.cotyrone.com