Good-day Friends

What began as an attempt to show agriculturally the devastation of the
potato blight, has expanded. I am attempting to show, through news
reports of the day, the results of it in the counties of Ulster. This
includes starvation, disease, emigration, increased crime, activities
of the poor law unions and the evictions.

We do have quite a number of the court sessions already transcribed
for Co. Tyrone. (the crime of larceny increased)
https://cotyrone.com/criminals/index.html
https://cotyrone.com/newspaper/index.html

Regarding evictions, it appears to me, and I am certainly no expert,
that one saving grace for the tenants of Ulster, was the 200 year old
law of tenant-right, which was enforced in Ulster province only.

If anyone has knowledge on this topic, maybe you could share how this
helped to prevent the mass evictions which were taking place elsewhere
in Ireland?

continuing......

Medical Report of the Newry Fever Hospital and Dispensary for the Year 1846

Of the 1970 cases cured, there were 454 fever - simple, continued,
typhus, and remittent; 497 of diseases digestive organs - of tongue,
mouth, stomach, intestines and liver, including 303 of dysentery; 107
of diseases of lungs, wind pipe, other organs of respiration; 12 of
cancers; 19 of diseases of brain, spinal marrow and nerves, apoplexy,
paralysis, convulsions, neuralgia, &c.; 67 of rheumatism; 28 of
fractures and dislocations; 33 diseases eye; 9 of diseases ear; 73 of
cutaneous diseases; 15 severe burns and scalds; 35 of diseases
peculiar females; 20 of dropsies; 34 of scrophulous diseases; 12 of
diseases of dentition; 13 haemorrhoids and excrescences; 11 of
inflammation of veins and cellular membrane; 130 of wounds, ulcers,
abscesses, carbuncles, &c. 24 erysipelas, measles, and scarletina; 105
of diseases of urinary and generative organs; 175 of labor; 34 of
small-pox; 26 of worms; 17 of hooping-cough; 2 strangulated rupture; 3
purpura haemorrhagia; 35 of diseases bones and joints; 9 of polypus;
and 3 excessive drunkenness - the latter cured by means stomach pump.

Of the 57 deaths, there were 14 from fever; 24 from dysentery; 8 from
pulmonary consumption; 2 from dropsy; 1 from purpura hemorrhagia; 2
from small pox; 1 from bronchitis; 1 from obstruction of bowels; 1
from ovarian dropsy; 1 from severe burn; 1 from inflammation of lungs;
and 1 from disease of joint.

It appears that during this year, 536 persons were admitted into
hospital and 2184 received dispensary assistance; whereas in the year
1845, the number admitted into hospital was only 290 and that on the
dispensary books,1668. The increase of patients in both these
institutions is therefore very considerable.

During the first few months of the year there was nothing remarkable
either in the amount, or the description of illness that came under my
observation, but in the course of the summer and autumn, fever of
typhus character became more than ordinarily common and from that time
up the present it has evinced a decided tendency to increase. About
the beginning of December, all the beds in hospital being occupied and
the pressure for admission continuing urgent, without waiting for the
permission of the committee, I took the liberty of having provided an
additional supply of beds. These also, were speedily filled and a
short time before Christmas the hospital contained about 60 patients,
almost all of whom laboring under typhus. But notwithstanding this
untoward claim upon its accommodation, in no instance was a fever case
refused admittance.

The type of the disease is a low, though generally not severe, form of
typhus, but livid spots are usually present. The mortality is by no
means great in the young and middle-aged, but in those advanced in
life it is very considerable. Stimulants are early required, bleeding
and lowering medicine would not be borne. From every circumstance
connected with this disease, I fear the chief cause of its prevalence
is, but too apparent, for the histories of all the epidemic fevers to
which this country has been subjected clearly prove that they present,
in common, the very same features and “no matter how climate altered,
or seasons revolved, how summer or winter rolled on; so sure as want
appeared, so certainly did pestilence follow.” And although the poor
of this neighborhood have not been in the same deplorable state of
destitution as those of other places, still it is feared that even
here, a deficiency of proper food has had some share in contributing
to the increase of fever. In 1817 and 1818, the years of the last
general epidemic fever this country - years like the present one,
characterized by a great deficiency of food, it is well known that a
million and half of persons suffered from fever and that of these at
least 65,000 died.

I have been induced to mention these facts to show the imperative
necessity which at present exists, not only for supporting soup
kitchens and in every way in our power providing food for the hungry,
but also for putting the medical charities of this country in such a
state of efficiency, as will enable them to respond effectually to
whatever calls may be made upon them and to exhibit forcibly their
real value in alleviating and controlling disease.

The next important disease I have to mention is dysentery. This
disease commenced here early in September and prevailed largely till
the beginning of December, when it began to decline. Nearly 400 cases
of it came under my care. It is still frequently met with and
occasionally in the same degree of severity as at first. Miserable
dwellings, wretched clothing and the want of suitable food, all
combined to render it a disease most distressing to the poor and
comparatively unsatisfactory as regarded the medical treatment. It was
undoubtedly epidemic in its character, but exposure to cold or wet,
especially after comparative warmth and unwholesome food, seemed
peculiarly favorable to its production. In badly ventilated
apartments, a low fever frequently accompanied it, which was
apparently infectious. In old persons and infants the mortality was
great.

These two diseases, fever and dysentery, were those which naturally
increased our list of patients and in consequence of the inordinate
demand for medical assistance, on both hospital and dispensary, the
usual supply of recommendatory tickets was found inadequate. Early in
October, therefore, by the directions of the committee, the
subscribers were furnished with a further supply. This extra number
was entirely requisite, as I believe at present tickets are procurable
only with very considerable difficulty.

During the summer months, small-pox was somewhat prevalent; 36 cases
came under my care. With 2 exceptions, vaccination had not been
previously resorted to and in the 2 cases in which the operation had
been performed, the disease was extremely mild. Whereas in the other
cases, it was generally severe and 2 terminated fatally.
J. MORRISON M.D., (Ex) Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, &c.
(Newry Telegraph)

Ireland is now, in one sense, in the midst, in another sense, we fear,
in the beginning of a calamity the like of which the world has never
seen. Four millions of people, the majority of whom were always upon
the verge of utter destitution, have been suddenly deprived of the
sole article of their ordinary food. Without any of the ordinary
channels of commercial intercourse, by which such a loss could be
supplied, the country has had no means of replacing the withdrawal of
this perished subsistence and the consequence has been that in a
country that is called, civilised, under the protection of the
mightiest monarchy upon earth and almost within a day’s communication
of the capital of the greatest and richest empire in the world,
thousands of our fellow creatures are each day, dying of starvation
and the wasted corpses of many left unburied in their miserable
hovels, to be devoured by the hungry swine, or to escape this
profanation, only to diffuse among the living the malaria of
pestilence and death.
(Dublin University Magazine)

transcribed by Teena

--