Arrests in Armagh 29 June 1822

Our Readers in the North who have been contemplating nothing but
tranquility around them, will be surprised to find by the following
statements that a meeting for treasonable purposes was detected in
Armagh on Tuesday last and 14 misguided men arrested on the spot. They
are said to be all men of the lowest order but the precise object of
their meeting is not stated. We hear that the prisoners have been
transmitted to Dublin.

On Tuesday last, 14 men were taken in the city of Armagh and committed
to the jail of that county by Colonel BLACKER and a military guard
under his command. These men, it is understood, were acting as
delegates from several counties in this kingdom and concerned in some
conspiracy, which they were endeavouring to organize and bring into
operation, against the authority of the government and the peace of
the country.

We have ascertained their names and places of abode and they are as follows;

Michael COFFEY, Dublin
Edward CLAFFERY, Fermanagh
Thomas BLAKE, do
John RICE, Monaghan
Peter ROURKE, Longford
John KELLY, Tyrone
Bernard DOUGAN, Dublin
Thomas LAMB, Monaghan
Peter KEILLY, Cavan
John BRADLEY, Derry
Henry COOGAN, Antrim
Thomas HUGHES, Dublin
Thos. M'GEOGAN, Antrim
Thomas BYRNE, Louth

Three of these men were from Dublin; 2 from Fermanagh; 2 from
Monaghan; 2 from Antrim; and 1 respectively from Louth, Longford,
Cavan, Derry and Tyrone. They all seemed respectable from their dress
and appearance and are now confined in separate cells in the jail of
Armagh. Great praise is due to Colonel BLACKER for his exertions and
conduct on the occasion: in detecting the conspiracy and seizing its
agents.

Several papers were found about the conspirators, which of course
will, when made public, throw light on this extraordinary and unlooked
for occurrence. We are fully persuaded however, that the conspiracy,
whatever kind it may be, is not formidable for the number and still
less from the influence and respectability of its emissaries and
abettors. All the respectable inhabitants of Ulster are men of loyalty
and the agents of sedition are few, and of such a kind, that they will
not endanger the peace of society or the safety of the State.

Shocking Outrage Mon. 1 Apr. 1822

On the night of Thursday, the 14th inst. a man named Peter M'CRINK and
his wife Alice, returning to their home from Newry market, stopped to
get some drink at the house of Bernard DUFFEY, within a mile of this
town, on the Dublin road; when they left the house 2 fellows who had
also been drinking in DUFFEY'S, followed them and robbed M'CRINK of £3
19s,  beating him severely.They also committed a rape on his wife,
using her in the most shocking manner.

We have the satisfaction of stating that they were apprehended on the
24th instant, by John TURNER and John PATTERSON constables and taken
before Thomas SERVER Esq. Magistrate of the county Armagh, who
committed them to Armagh Jail, to abide their trial for this barbarous
and wanton outrage. Their names are George MARMION and Henry RICE,
young villains of not more than 18 to 20 years of age and were natives
of the place near to where the deed was committed.

Transcribed by Teena from the Belfast Commercial Chronicle

Escape of a Convict from Armagh
On Monday night last a man named John MAGUIRE effected his escape from
our county prison. He had been tried at Dungannon sessions in February
last and sentenced to 7 years transportation, but evaded the ends of
justice by escaping from the Bridewell in that town, from which place
he proceeded to Portadown where he committed a theft and was again
arrested and convicted at the Spring assizes and sentenced to 18
months imprisonment. On the above night, however, he was among the
patients at the hospital and having gone to the water closet, he got
outside and towards an inner wall of the yard, over which he managed
to pass. Up to the present he has kept clear of the authorities, who
are not without hope of getting him.

transcribed from the Coleraine Chronicle

Atrocious Outrage Brutal Conduct of the Police
On Thursday night we witnessed the most diabolical and unwarrantable
outrage on the part of 5 or 6 members of the constabulary that ever
was perpetrated by men invested with authority. The unfortunate man
who was the victim of cruel, unmanly and beastly violence was Samuel
MORROW of this city. It appears that his brother, who lives in the
country, had called on him in the evening and remained with him some
time, conversing respecting the races and on leaving to go home,
Samuel accompanied him far as Thomas street, where they went into a
public-house and partook of some whiskey. What took place further, we
have not been able to ascertain, but on coming out of the house was
arrested by the police; he offered resistance and requested that they
should not take him; his sister and other friends remonstrated with
the police, assuring them that they would take him home, but
remonstrance was useless, for the police, with 1 or 2 exceptions, were
almost as drunk as MORROW and though it wanted a quarter of 10
o'clock, they insisted on taking him to bridewell. The police were
armed with their carbines and the watchmen, who were also on the spot,
with their pikes, they dragged MORROW along the newly graveled street,
while the poor man cried out not to kill him. They deliberately laid
him down and one policeman threw aside his musket and jumped with his
knees on his breast, while another administered 6 or 7 blows on his
head and face with the heavy end of his musket, until the blood
streamed from him profusely. The other police and watchmen kept back
the crowd with their carbines and pikes while this diabolical act was
being perpetrated. A storm of execrations and curses burst from the
infuriated mob; the women shouted "murder” and MORROW was taken to the
‘cells.” Such is a plain statement of the circumstance, which is
certainly not overdrawn. Will the authorities allow it to pass
unnoticed? Will they really allow ignorant policemen, excited with
whiskey, to beat any man, no matter who or what his character may be,
with such instruments as the butt of a musket?

We were eye-witnesses of the atrocity. As journalists we cannot allow
it to pass without notice. At the moment we write, our indignation is
boiling over at this gross violation of all law, justice and humanity.
It is the duty of every one who witnessed it, to endeavour to put down
this growing intolerance at once and forever. We willingly acknowledge
the exertions the police make to detect robbers and bring offenders to
justice, but the same laws which punish the burglar and the
pickpocket, protect one man from the violence of another.

Further Particulars - Since the above was written, we were surprised
by a report that MORROW died from the effect of the wounds inflicted
on him. On making inquiry, however, we learned that the circumstance
having been reported at the police office, the head constable ordered
the man to be taken out of the cells and conducted to his own house.
This accordingly was done and MORROW is now lying at home in a
dangerous state, having a contusion and two deep cuts in his head. We
have been told that the policeman who inflicted the wounds does not
belong to the  Armagh district

Transcribed by Teena from the Armagh Guardian

Cheers!