Hello All

The following articles are transcribed from the Londonderry Standard.
Please note that I could not discover a conviction or a sentence in
the case.

17 Jan. 1872 Fatal Use of a Knife in Derry

On Saturday night last, about ten o'clock, a drunken fracas occurred
in the public-house of Mr. James HASSAN, Bishop street, in which,
unfortunately, George GILFILLEN, a young man, aged about twenty years,
received a stab about an inch and a half in length in the left groin,
extending across the lower part of the abdomen. The medical gentlemen
in attendance upon GILFILLEN are of the opinion that the wound will
prove fatal, the bowel having been cut and the intestines protruding.
The facts of the case may be briefly stated;

Three young men, William WARNOCK, Thomas M'CLELLAND and John WRAY,
went into the house of Mr. James HASSAN, Bishop street (without), and
were served with porter, which they drank in a room upstairs. While
they were in the room WRAY was observed to have a knife in his hand,
which he used in cutting tobacco. On leaving the room and coming down
stairs to the hall, these men were met by GILFILLEN and some others
and an altercation took place, during which each party endeavoured to
pull his own friend away. WRAY was taken to the outside of the door by
his companions, but he broke away from them and went back. When taken
to the door first he is said by some witnesses to have sworn that he
"would rip the first man that came to him!"  WRAY was then taken away
and shortly afterwards all who were in the hall were turned out by the
owner of the house. GILFILLEN told a friend who was along with him
that he had been stabbed by WRAY and caused him to put down his hand
and feel the wound. He had gone but a few yards from the door of the
house when he fell on the footpath from exhaustion and loss of blood.
His comrade, BRADLEY who was along with him, fearing he would die, at
once ran off for a doctor. Several others, coming up immediately
afterwards, they raised the poor fellow up and had him conveyed to the
police station in Bishop street, where Doctors William MILLER, DARCUS
and D. J. BROWN were called to see him. The unfortunate youth was
afterwards placed on a stretcher and conveyed to the house of his
parents in Foyle-view, where everything that medical skill could
suggest was employed to alleviate the pain which he was suffering.
While in the police station, he was able to say to the constable in
charge, that John WRAY had stabbed him and a magistrate attended to
take his depositions. The doctors, however, considered that he was too
weak to be questioned. He was, therefore, removed to his home and on
Sunday morning, Captain KEOGH R.M., attended his bed-side and took his
depositions, in presence of the accused.

The particulars are fully reported in another column. It is but right
to state that this melancholy and deplorable occurrence is not
connected with party work, both GILFILLEN and WRAY being, we
understand, members of the Apprentice Boys Society.

On making enquiry before going to press, we regret to learn that poor
GILFILLEN is unconscious and is not expected to survive many hours.

18 Jan 1872 - Death
January 17, at his father’s residence, Foyle-view, Derry, George
GILFILLEN, aged 21 years. His remains will be removed for interment in
the Cemetery, on this day (Thursday) 18th instant at 3 o'clock.
Friends will please accept this intimation.

20 Jan. 1872 The late case of Stabbing in Bishop-street - Death of
George GILFILLAN

On Wednesday morning, shortly after three o'clock, George GILFILLAN
died at his residence, Foyleview. It will be remembered that the
unfortunate deceased was stabbed in a public-house in Bishop street,
shortly before ten o'clock, on the evening of Saturday last.

From the moment of the melancholy occurrence, the medical gentlemen in
attendance upon the deceased, Messrs. William MILLAR, H. R. DARCUS and
D. J. BROWNE never entertained the hope of the recovery of the
deceased, the bowel having been cut and protruded through the wound in
the abdomen several inches. Inflammation set in on Tuesday and, as
have stated, death resulted on Wednesday morning.

The Inquest
An inquest was held at the Police-station, Bishop street, on
Wednesday, before Minchin LLOYD Esq., coroner of the district. Captain
KEOGH R.M. and John O'NEILL Esq., J.P., also attended.

The following gentlemen were sworn on the jury;

Messrs. Andrew REID (foreman), Henry M'DONNELL jun., James MONTGOMERY
(Bishop-gate), John M'NEILLY, Joseph FERGUSON, John KERR, James HANNA,
John M'CLELLAND, George SMART, Michael M'Elligott, Andrew COLHOUN,
Thos. S. MAGEE, John Talbot, Joseph MONTEITH, John CAMPBELL, Bernard
HANNIGAN, Hugh CONWAY, Andrew M'CAFFERTY and George ALLEN.

The jury, after being sworn, proceeded to the house of deceased to
view the body. They were accompanied by head-constable O'CONNELL.
While the jury was absent, Mr. INTYRE, attorney for the accused,
arrived. He asked the coroner how he proposed to conduct the inquest.
It was usual to take 'viva voce' testimony. The coroner said he did
not know whether or not. If the jury was satisfied with the
depositions of deceased and the evidence of the doctors on which to
frame a verdict, he would take further evidence. The jurors having
returned from viewing the body and having answered to their names,

The coroner said - Now, gentlemen, I propose first to read to you the
dying depositions of the man, after which I purpose to examine the
doctors. If you consider that sufficient evidence on which to form
your verdict, well; but if not, I will examine any other witnesses you
like. John WRAY, the accused, was then brought in. He appeared to feel
his position acutely.

Mr. M'INTYRE - This man, I believe, is committed to the gaol until
Monday, for farther examination.

Mr. O'NEILL J.P. - Oh, he is committed till Monday, or any earlier
period, if required.

Mr. WARNOCK (Petty sessions clerk) then read the depositions of the
deceased, taken before Captain KEOGH R.M. and John O'NEILL Esq , J.P.,
at the house of deceased, Foyle-view on Sunday morning last.

Deponent, being duly sworn, saith - "On the night of the 13th January
1872 (last night), I was in the public-house of James HASSAN, in
Bishop-street. There was a disturbance going on in the hall, and Sam
BRADLEY went to separate them. I was proceeding out of the passage
home, when John WRAY came and drove a knife into my bowels. I did not
see any other person present but Sam BRADLEY. Immediately after I
became insensible."

The accused, John WRAY, having been duly cautioned and informed that
he might ask any questions, or make any statement he chose, but that
such questions or statements would be taken down in writing and might
be used against him in future, said "George, did you not strike me
first?" The deponent to this question made answer, "I did not."

The coroner - Gentlemen, perhaps you will think that evidence
sufficient, taken in connection with the evidence of the doctor.

William MILLER, M.B., sworn, and examined.

The coroner - Were you called in to see the deceased?

Dr. MILLER - l was.

Coroner - ln the first place, do you consider it necessary to hold a
post-mortem examination?

Dr. MILLER (after a pause) -  Well, I can state what he has died of
and the other medical gentlemen agree with me. Of course, it would be
the more satisfactory way. This course was not deemed necessary, and
Dr. MILLER continued - On Saturday night, I found the deceased lying
here in this place, on a stretcher. He was suffering from a wound or
stab in the left groin. The wound was about two inches to the left of
the navel. There were about seven inches of the bowel which had
protruded. There was a wound upon the bowel itself. With the
assistance of Dr's. David BROWNE and DARCUS, I applied the necessary
dressings to the wound in the bowel and got the protruded portion
returned. I then dressed the external wound also. He was then removed
home. I might mention that it was his mother's decided wish that he
should be taken home. Otherwise I should have had him taken to the
Infirmary. I attended him, along with Dr. BROWNE and Dr. DARCUS, till
the time of his death. In my opinion, he died of acute inflammation of
the bowel and of the peritoneum, the effects of the wound.

A juror - Does Dr. DARCUS corroborate the evidence of Dr. MILLER?

Dr. DARCUS - lf l am sworn and examined I will.

Dr. DARCUSwas then sworn, and said he agreed entirely With Dr.
MILLER'S statement.

A juror - l see Dr. BROWNE here.

The coroner - They did not make a  post-mortem examination, and it is
not necessary to examine any more.

Dr. MILLER - Of course, not having made a post-mortem examination, I
speak only from the symptoms.

On the request of the foreman, Dr. David J. BROWNE was sworn and said
he concurred with Dr. MILLER'S statement. A discussion then took place
among the jurors as to the necessity for further evidence in
corroboration of the deceased’s depositions.

Samuel BRADLEY was called and was about to be re-sworn to attest his
information, when Mr. M'INTYRE said - When this deposition is read, I
will ask to have the witness, William WARNOCK, examined.

Head-constable O'CONNELL - lt is circumstantial evidence and we would
have to examine all the witnesses.

Mr. HOGBEN S.I. -Before the jury finds a verdict. I can produce
evidence to show that this man had a knife in his possession and there
can only be one inference, that that was the knife which inflicted the
wound. We could not find that knife.

Mr. M'INTYRE  - That is your statement.

Mr. HOGBEN - That is all. But we have evidence that he threatened to
rip someone.

A juror - Who is the person?

Mr. HOGBEN S. I. - That man before you.

Mr. M'INTYRE - That man is contradicted on his oath by Mr WARNOCK

Mr. O'NEILL J.P. - He did not contradict him at all. But did not hear
what he heard.

After some further conversation the jury returned the following verdict;

We find that George GILFILLAN came by his death from a wound inflicted
by some sharp instrument and that John WRAY inflicted said wound on
Saturday night, the 13th January 1872, in the house of James HASSAN
Bishop-street (without). Deceased George GILFILLAN, died at Foyleview
this Wednesday morning, the 17th day of January 187- The prisoner was
then committed to gaol, on the coroner's warrant, to take his trial
the forthcoming assizes.

28 Feb. 1872 Londonderry Assizes

The following is the state of the calendar;
William BLAIR, wilful murder; Anne M'ILROY, concealing birth; Nancy
MALLON, conceahug birth;Samuel CURRY, rape; Michael BRANNAN, perjury;
Robert WYLIE, Michael COLEMAN, James KEARNEY, having had arms in a
proclaimed district; John WRAY, manslaughter; William John MILLER,
Patrick M'CLOSKEY, violent assault; David M'GEOWN, Mary MADDEN, Lizzy
M'MAINS, larceny; James MAGEE, William NORRIS, Patrick HENRY, riotous
assembly and assault;

All the best~
Teena