Good-Day All

A few upcoming events along with some of the latest news.

The Boer War and its Legacy 13 October, 8pm
Join us for an online talk by Dr Spencer Jones on ‘The Boer War and
its legacy'. The Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) was a bitter and
controversial conflict that marked a watershed in the history of the
British Empire.
https://bit.ly/3ubaDnh

Getting Started Workshops – Using Online Resources
6 & 20 October, 12.30pm
Whether you are trying to do your own family tree online, researching
for study or planning to visit PRONI and want to know how to find your
references in advance - these virtual workshops will have something
for you. An ideal opportunity for you to ask your questions directly
to PRONI staff.
https://bit.ly/3zImrPi

Curses, Witches and Fairies: The Uses and Abuses of Magic in Modern
British and Irish History 21 October, 7pm
Join us and The Ulster Society for Irish Historical Studies at this
fascinating presentation by Dr Thomas Waters, Imperial College London.
Discover the role magic played within ordinary people’s lives in the
early 1800's.
https://bit.ly/3u5kwDb

Researching Farming Ancestors in PRONI 23 November, 2pm
Join us for a talk by Dr William Roulston, Research Director of Ulster
Historical Foundation, to mark his recent publication ‘Researching
Farming Ancestors in Ireland’.
https://bit.ly/3lXXSsN

HERoNI - provides an insight into local heritage, archaeology and
more. All of the HERoNI events are free to attend and will be hosted
on Zoom at the date and times listed. To book your spot on any of the
lectures just click on the Eventbrite link associated with your chosen
event from the list below.

Some of the talks include;

- The Irish Architectural Archive
- 125 Years of the Grand Opera House
- Heir-raising: Bringing up Children at Hillsborough Castle
- The Pre-Plantation Archaeology of Lisburn; the Search for Medieval Origin.

Various Dates 2021-22
https://bit.ly/3i4zjJg

The PRONI is now open to the public, still by appointment only. Our
search room has now reopened and we have returned to an on-demand
(onsite) ordering system.
https://bit.ly/3u5it1G

PRONI continues to add recorded talks and events to our Youtube
channel, subscribe today to make sure you don’t miss any!
https://bit.ly/3o3goCK

new Book Now on sale - "Tracing Your Irish Ancestors Through Land
Records" by Chris Paton

quote - "The history of Ireland is one that was long dominated by the
question of land ownership, with complex and often distressing tales
over the centuries of dispossession and colonisation, religious
tensions, absentee landlordism, subsistence farming, and considerably
more to sadden the heart. Yet with the destruction of much of
Ireland's historic record during the Irish Civil War, and with the
discriminatory Penal Laws in place in earlier times, it is often
within land records that we can find evidence of our ancestors'
existence, in some cases the only evidence, where the relevant vital
records for an area may never have been kept or may not have survived.

In Tracing Your Irish Ancestors Through Land Records, genealogist and
best-selling author Chris Paton explores how the surviving records can
help with our ancestral research, but also tell the stories of the
communities from within which our ancestors emerged. He explores the
often controversial history of ownership of land across the island,
the rights granted to those who held estates and the plights of the
dispossessed, and identifies the various surviving records which can
help to tease out the stories of many of Ireland's forgotten
generations. Along the way Chris Paton identifies the various ways to
access the records, whether in Ireland's many archives, local and
national, and increasingly through a variety of online platforms."
£11.99
https://bit.ly/3CHsJ3n

Enjoy!
Teena