Hello there,

I am connecting with you from Ontario, Canada and am so grateful to have found
this site.
I have been working on my family history for well over a year now.
I am searching for some more details about the lives of my maternal ancestors
who were born in Tyrone County, but we are not aware of the town or townland
from where they came. Please find below the information that we currently have
from my maternal grandfather’s ancestry. If anyone in the group has any
information to share about these folks, I would be very grateful. In addition,
I’m eager to learn more about the history of the county and reasons for
emigration to North America.

1. James RITCHIE (Ritchey, Richey) I or Sr
Born Abt. 1790 in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland
He married his wife Elizabeth ? (maiden name unknown to us) @ 1820 in Ireland.
Elizabeth was born @ 1790-91 in Cty. Tyrone, Northern Ireland
They had 5 children – John (1821-1902), James A. (1826-1892), David
(1828-1879), Alexander (1833-1908) and Sarah (1835-1884)

The family emigrated from Northern Ireland to New York state, USA sometime in
the mid-late 1830s and settled in Madrid/Waddington in St. Lawrence County, New
York. We do not have any details regarding Port of departure, ship name or
date. We also do not know why they chose to come to the USA or New York state.
Did they have family/friends who had already settled there? They appear on the
US Federal Census in 1840, 1850 and 1860. The 1860 census has James Sr as a
widower. Elizabeth died 14 Oct 1856 in Waddington, St. Lawrence Cty. and is
buried in the Scotch Cemetery. The other family connection – Scarlett (Scarlet)
are living with James Ritchie Sr.
The family later moved to Canada post 1860 to Cavendish/Galway Township,
Peterborough County, Ontario. They appear on the 1871 Census of Canada.

2. James A. RITCHIE (Jr) – son of 1. Above
Born 18 Feb 1826 in Cty. Tyrone, Northern Ireland
He emigrated with his family to Madrid/Waddington, St. Lawrence Cty., New York.
He married Anne Jane Scott on Nov. 8, 1860 in Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence Cty.,
New York. She was born 3 Jan 1833 in Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence Cty. They had 6
children.
They too moved to Canada with his father and other family to Galway Township.
Their eldest daughter Margaret Jane Ritchie married Wm John Scarlett (eldest
son of Wm. George Scarlett).
We’re wondering if the Ritchie and Scott families were known to each other back
in Ireland as we have no information about her parents.

3. Wm. George SCARLETT (Scarlet)
Born @1835 in Cty. Tyrone, Northern Ireland
He emigrated to New York state in 1851 to New York Port of Arrival from
Liverpool on the ship Garrick at age 16 and came to live with James Ritchie I
(Sr) in Waddington, St. Lawrence Cty., New York. The 1860 US Census shows him
married to Mary Ann Ritchie with two sons. We have no information about her or
her family. Is it possible she is from another Ritchie family from Tyrone
County??? She was born about 1820 and died 20 Feb 1879 (age 59) and is buried
in Bobcaygeon, Ontario, Canada with her husband. William died 14 Feb 1878 (age
49). They also moved to Galway Twp in Ontario along with the Ritchie family and
resided close to one another.

4. Wm. John Scarlett
Born Abt. 1856 in New York State (probably Waddington, St. Lawrence Cty.)
He moved to Canada with his family to settle in Galway Twp. He married Margaret
Jane Ritchie on 29 June 1881 in Minden Township. They had 7 children, the
youngest and only son, my grandfather – Harold James Scarlett (b. 10 Nov 1899;
died 29 Apr 2000). Wm. John Scarlett died 1 Apr 1901 in Galway Twp,
Peterborough Cty., Ontario. Harold James Scarlett married in 1931 to Marguerite
Catherine Allen, a 5th generation descendant of Peter Robinson Irish Settlers
of 1825 to Douro Township, Ontario – Edmond Allen and Bridget Fleming. Their
daughter Sheila is my mother.

Many thanks in advance for your time and hope we find some connections.

Best regards,

Lori Gosselin

Sent from Mail for Windows