Most of the work in this release is Shad's, not mine.  As usual, I did
not find time to do most of the stuff I would have liked, but we need
a fresh release so here it is.

I did not even finish going through the bug reports and patches.  This
week, I promise.

This release is pretty much entirely bug fixes and updates.  The
biggest improvement is the addition of the remaining updates for
Windows XP, including hard ones like DirectX 9.  This also works
around the bug where XP sometimes fails to reconnect the Z: drive.

As always, download from the project page at
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/unattended/>.

NEWS.txt entry is appended.

 - Pat

** Changes in version 2.8 (2003-Aug-24)

(NOTE: There are many patches and to-do items still in the queue, but
it has been long enough so we are releasing anyway.  Windows 2000
support has probably atrophied somewhat since none of us use it
regularly anymore.  Patches and bug reports always welcome.)

Add maptodo.pl script, which maps the Z:\ drive before running
todo.pl.  Rewrite dosbin\install.pl and bin\todo.pl to invoke it.
This works around XP bug where "persistent" share mappings sometimes
fail.

Use "%%WINVER%%" instead of "%WINVER%" to delay variable expansion
until after service pack has been applied.

Add .cvsignore files everywhere.

Add rest of XP updates (DirectX 9, Media Player 9, Windows Journal
Viewer, .NET Framework).

New scripts powertoys.bat and winxpsp1-recommended.bat.  Not invoked
by default, but there for people who want even non-critical stuff.

Drop PXELINUX timeout for booting from hard disk to 30 seconds.

Upgrade e100b and e1000 DOS drivers to latest Intel release.

Set PREFERREDREDIR and AUTOSTART to BASIC (instead of FULL) in
system.ini, to make full automation easier.

Add new scripts instances.pl, srconfig.pl, rdconfig.pl, and cert.pl.
Improve shortcut.pl.  Document some of them in apps.html.

Use srconfig.pl to disable XP "System Restore" functionality during
base hotfix and application installation.

Add .NET Framework instructions to installers.html.  Update
section on OpenOffice.

Fix links all over the place.

Rename vnc.bat to tightvnc.bat, to ruffle fewer feathers.