Well, it turns out that the MSCLIENT stack *can* do DNS resolution;
you just have to load the "dnr.exe" tool first.  And possibly
configure it.

I have put a copy of dnr.exe in
<http://unattended.sourceforge.net/testing/>.  To try it:

  1) Add it to your boot disk
  2) Edit \net\tcputils.ini to add a section like this:

       [DNR]
       drivername=DNR$
       bindings=TCPIP_XIF

  3) Invoke it from autoexec.bat (just after "tinyrfc.exe")

Then maybe (big maybe) you will be able to map shares by DNS name.  Or
maybe you will have to add some DNS servers by hand...  I honestly do
not know.  But it is worth a shot :-).

 - Pat