Hi!

Im currently also looking into a completly unattended installation for
our local schools.

The idea is that a teacher or student should be able to reboot the computer
and reinstall it by choosing INSTALL instead of LOCAL from the pxelinux
prompt.

My idea for a solution is to have a pxelinux.cfg/default which has
"local" as defaultboot within 10 seconds and "install" which is a
undis3c.img
which you could type. This using a displayfile presenting the choices to
the user.

When the undis3c.img boots it should have write rights to the pxelinux.cfg
directory
so that it could create a new pxelinux.cfg file using the hex variant of
the ip address which
tells the system to boot from the network again. This would allow me to
boot, create new pxeconfig,
fdisk, boot, remove pxeconfig, start xp install, boot locally and finish.

This method should also let me create the pxeconf file and either a reboot
(samba-tools?`) when the
machine is online or using wake-on-lan and let the machines reinstall.
This way I could also remove the
locally initiated install and create a cgi/php script which would let me
control who has the rights to reinstall
a machine.

A problem could be the pxelinux.cfg directory which would be open to
anyone that gets access to the
install account and password. However the only thing they could do would
be to mess up the install
without access to critical data.

The next step would be to have linux bootdisk instead of the dos disk
which would remove the fdisk
reboot. However how much this would add I don't know, but having access to
perl with DBD/DBI for
database access for keeping state/configs would be nice or for
authenticating user to MS AD using
LDAP before letting them reinstall would also be nice.

Janåke Rönnblom
SKERIA Utveckling AB (Teknous)
Assistentgatan 23
931 77 Skelleftea (Sweden)