This is a work in progress...... comments encouraged

Step-By-Step Quick Install Guide
--------------------------------

Documentation:
----------------
1. Unattended OS Setup
http://unattended.sourceforge.com/os.html
2. Unattended Application Setup
http://unattended.sourceforge.net/apps.html
3. Customize Unattended for your site   http://unattended.sourceforge.com/advanced.html

Assumptions:
--------------
1. DHCP server on your network
2. Server capable of sharing files

1. Overview - What does unattended do?
-----------------------------------

        a. Boot 'clean' and get on the network
                I.   Boot using an Unattended Boot disk
              II.  Load a network card driver
              III. Obtain an IP via DHCP
              IV.  Map a drive (z:) to \\servername\sharename

        b. Install Windows
                I.  Prepare the disk (optional)
                II. Run z:\dosbin\install.pl via Perl for DOS

        c. Install Applications (note: this section needs work)
                I.  Install Perl for Windows    - Run z:\scripts\perl.bat (?!?!)
                II. Install Applications        - Run z:\bin\todo.pl --go

2. Setup Unattended
-------------------

        a. Download Unattended main

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/unattended/unattended-4.0a.tar.gz?download

        b. Create an SMB file share for unattended. You may need to create the
directory first.
                net share install=c:\unattended\unattended-4.0a\install

        c. If authenticating with the server using the guest account then make sure it
is enabled.
                net user guest /ACTIVE:YES /DOMAIN

        d. Change the permissions on the files to allow the appropriate user to access
it.
                cacls c:\unattended\unattended-4.0a /T /E /G:guest

        e. Unzip the Unattended-4.0a.tar.gz file to c:\unattended (WinZip should
handle the task)
                Make sure you have C:\unattended\unattended-4.0a\readme.txt

3. Setup Unattended: Boot Disk
------------------------------

        a. DOS Boot Disk
                I. Download Unattended DOS boot disk

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/unattended/unattended-4.0a-dosboot.tar.gz?download

                II. Unzip unattended-4.0a-dosboot.tar.gz to c:\unattended\
                        Be careful of subdirectories, you should end up with...
                        C:\unattended\unattended-4.0a\bootdisk\

                III. Download djgpp and djgpp components for DOS and extract them to
c:\unattended\unattended-4.0a\install\djgpp
                        ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2/djdev203.zip
                        ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2misc/csdpmi5b.zip
                        ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/perl561b.zip
                        ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2apps/pico396b.zip

        b. Linux Boot Disk (Experimental)
                I. Download Unattended Linux boot disk

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/unattended/unattended-4.0a-linuxboot.tar.gz?download

                II. Unzip unattended-4.0a-linuxboot.tar.gz to c:\unattended\
                        Be careful of subdirectories, you should end up with...
                        C:\unattended\unattended-4.0a\linuxboot\
                        C:\unattended\unattended-4.0a\install\linuxaux\

4. Setup OS Distribution Point
------------------------------
        a. Copy OS's to the network share.
                I. Copy Operating Systems to an appropriately named directory
                        ex1. xcopy d:\
c:\unattended\unattended-4.0a\install\os\win2ksp4
                        ex2. xcopy d:\ c:\unattended\unattended-4.0a\install\os\winxp
                        ex3. xcopy d:\
c:\unattended\unattended-4.0a\install\os\winxpsp1

        note: install.pl knows what os is in the folder based on folder content not on
the folder
name

5. Download ActivePerl (Perl for windows)
----------------------
        a) Download
http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Windows/5.8/ActivePerl-5.8.3.809-MSWin32-x86.msi
        b) put it in C:\unattended\unattended-4.0a\install\packages\

6. Setup Windows updates (hotfixes)
        a. Download all hotfixes by hand and place them in the appropriate folder
        b. modify unattended to run the update script for your OS?!

Server side setup is working you will want/need to tweak Unattended from here.
In order to boot to DOS and try Unattended you will want to burn Bootdisk.iso to CD.
if you followed the examples above it is located in c:\unattended\bootdisk\bootdisk.iso