From: Patrick J. LoPresti [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 12:44 PM
To: Niels S. Richthof; Bunting, Glen, IG
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Unattended] Compaq/HP DL360/380 Gig interfaces

"Niels S. Richthof" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> man smb.conf
> look for "name mangling"
>
> the "install"-share should have:
>
> case sensitive = no

I am skeptical that this is the problem, for two reasons.

First, "case sensitive = no" is the default.  You would have to
explicitly set it to "yes" to break things, which would be a strange
thing to do.

Second, the reports suggest that this problem is related to using
mount.cifs instead of smbmount.  If the Samba server had "case
sensitive = yes", it would never have worked.

My guess is that mount.cifs (which invokes the fancy new Linux CIFS
client) is allowing the Linux client and server to negotiate "unix
extensions", including some kind of case sensitivity even when the
server is not configured for it.

Also, we have some evidence that checking for the existence of
txtsetup.sif (when the actual name is TXTSETUP.SIF) works, but trying
to open it fails.

Glen Bunting writes:

> That makes sense.  Any idea as to why it was unable to run:
>
> winnt /rx:lang /s:Z:\os\win2ksp4\i386 /u:C:\netinst\unattend.txt ?

Maybe winnt.exe is upper case, and FreeDOS does not print a proper
diagnostic?  Hard to say for sure, but whatever the problem is, I
highly suspect it has the same underlying cause.

I uploaded a 4.4-rc1 to <http://unattended.sourceforge.net/testing/>
earlier today, with the smbmount code re-enabled.  Care to give that a
try?

 - Pat

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify
the sender immediately. The contents of this e-mail do not amend
any existing disclosures or agreements unless expressly stated.