Niels S. Richthof wrote:
Hi Tomasz!

However, There is a GPL project called WPKG - http://wpkg.sourceforge.net - which aims to install/upgrade/remove software/packages after the machine was installed.

I know wpkg since it was a first idea on our mailinglist and long before it became a SF-project.

The problem is that wpkg does not use the work invested in unattended. And I don't like XML.

There is a project called Adamoto - http://adamoto.sourceforge.net/ - which has similar aims, and seems to be more sophisticated (at least in requirements - it requires Java installed both on server and client, Tomcat server etc. - I'm still struggling with installing it on my machine for tests - can't force Tomcat to interpret perl).

Anyway.

I didn't say WPKG is perfect - as it of course has it's limitations. Consider XML as a way of describing configurations in a file - that's just it, nothing more, nothing less.
And I don't understand what you mean by "wpkg does not use the work invested in unattended"? It can be easily adapted for unattended.

So far we don't have much choice - it's hard to believe, but since 2000 when Microsoft released Windows 2000 Server and Active Directory with Global Policies, Open Source didn't create any real alternative (if we talk about deploying software to a group of machines).

All we need would be some check-software-on-server.exe or .msi, which would be installed and configured by Unattended, started as a service on a Windows machine, and then would check configuration on a server from time to time (on boot?) to see if it should install / remove / update some software.
WPKG comes close to that.

You also mentioned "One solution might be a Win32-Service Application, running with system and network rights, which performs these checks and starts the update procedure", and then followed by a post from Mario Gzuk, but I'm afraid I didn't understand fully what you both meant :)

Any chance it could end up in Unattended GUI (or let it be command line) - so that you could configure groups of hosts, and then manage software installed on them?

Tomek

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: InterSystems CACHE FREE OODBMS DOWNLOAD - A multidimensional database that combines robust object and relational technologies, making it a perfect match for Java, C++,COM, XML, ODBC and JDBC. www.intersystems.com/match8 _______________________________________________ unattended-info mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/unattended-info