It depends why you're copying the drivers in the first place. At my
company, we copy them in this way because Windows is also aware of this
folder when it is copied over, so if it finds any new pieces of hardware
(e.g. network card) that have drivers in the $1 folder (or subfolders),
it can install it. If Windows XP doesn't have native support for your
network card, unattended installation won't work until the network card
is installed (manually!).

Personally, I wouldn't bother doing anything with the drivers folder -
they're generally not very big, especially compared to the size of hard
drives these days. However, if you really want to remove irrelevant
drivers, create an option for the make/model of computer you're
installing, which is a simple batch file which purges all the files that
aren't relevant to that system.

Just my two cents J

Paul