I haven't had a chance yet to do proper documentation of what I did to
get this working, but here goes a quick rundown, assuming that you've
never compiled the unattended linux boot disk (neither had I until this
week).

My lead on doing this came from
http://www.mail-archive.com/unattended-info@lists.sourceforge.net/
msg07327.html but I had a few issues that weren't in that message that
I had to work through.

I did this on a Centos 4.4 server that I had already installed a
compiler, make, etc. on. The only thing I had to add to that machine
was "mkisofs"

mkdir /extra  ( I tend to download and compile stuff here - adjust per
your preference)

cd /extra

wget
http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/unattended/unattended
-4.7.zip
unzip unattended-4.7.zip

cd unattended-4.7/linuxboot

make download

Then wait for all the source files to download. Once that is done...

cd linux-2.6.23.11/drivers/net/e1000
rm -f *    (delete the old E1000 driver files)

wget http://downloadmirror.intel.com/9180/eng/e1000-7.6.15.4.tar.gz
(new driver from Intel)
tar zxvf e1000-7.6.15.4.tar.gz

mv e1000-7.6.15.4/src/*

cd /extra/unattended-4.7/linuxboot

make iso

It started the compiling process, but then crapped out when it got to
the E1000 driver because it couldn't find the kernel source. Towards
the beginning of "linux-2.6.23.11/drivers/net/e1000/Makefile" is a
section:
> # Kernel Search Path
> # All the places we look for kernel source
> KSP :=  /lib/modules/$(BUILD_KERNEL)/build \
>         /lib/modules/$(BUILD_KERNEL)/source \
>         /usr/src/linux-$(BUILD_KERNEL) \
>         /usr/src/linux-$($(BUILD_KERNEL) | sed 's/-.*//') \
>         /usr/src/kernel-headers-$(BUILD_KERNEL) \
>         /usr/src/kernel-source-$(BUILD_KERNEL) \
>         /usr/src/linux-$($(BUILD_KERNEL) | sed
> 's/\([0-9]*\.[0-9]*\)\..*/\1/') \
>         /usr/src/linux

I modified the last line there and added one more:

/usr/src/linux \
/extra/unattended-4.7/linuxboot/linux-2.6.23.11

After that, "make iso" ran fine until it got to to the midid part of
compiling dosemu. Can't recall offhand the exact error - it was a
screenful of text. Since I didn't think that having some sort of
audio/MIDI related component of a disk used just to boot the computer
for initial install really mattered, I simply edited
"/extra/unattended-4.7/linuxboot/dosemu-1.4.0/src/arch/linux/
Makefile.main" and commented out line 23:
"#MIDID=arch/linux/dosext/sound/midid". Ran "make iso" again, and it
proceeded to finish compiling and make the new ISO
("/extra/unattended-4.7/linuxboot/linuxboot.iso").

One other thing that I did have to do to these OptiPlex 755's was
change the BIOS setting for the SATA controller to "ATA" otherwise it
hung on the install CD.

Dave

On Mar 7, 2008, at 4:48 AM, Regis Gras wrote:

>     I am trying to install a Dell Optiplex 755, but the network card
> is'nt recognized.
>     After the boot (PXE or CDROM) the installer stops with the message
>
> ** Now that we have loaded the modules (maybe), let's try DHCP ....
> ** eth0 not found
> **  eth1 not found
> **   eth2 not found
> Failed to obtain DHCP lease
> ** Dropping to shell
>
> The network card is:
> Intel(R) 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection
>
> Could some one tell me how to do to use unattended with Dell Optiplex
> 755
>
> --
> | RĂ©gis Gras                 | http://dcm.ujf-grenoble.fr        |
> |   D.C.M.                   | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] |
> | 301, rue de la chimie      |         --------------            |
> | DU BP 53                   | Tel 04 76 51 41 76                |
> | 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9     | Fax 04 76 51 40 89                |

David Wadson
IT Manager
The Chronicle-Journal