For the past few days, I've been working on getting unattended setup and
running.  It took a while, but I've now got a working installation.  I have
been using the code straight from cvs, and I've been poking through it to
learn how it works so I can modify it to match my own purposes.  I have been
using virtualbox to test the system with.

I really like the way it's setup, and it seems to work pretty well.  I am very
poor in my understanding of perl, so it's somewhat difficult to figure out
what's happening during certain parts of the install process.  I am even more
inexperienced with windows, and this makes it more difficult.  However, I'm a
lot more fluent in python, have years of experience with debian, and I've
been doing automated installs of debian machines over a network for many
years now.  My website for this is here:  http://paella.berlios.de/

I have been using debian live for my installer environment, and I'm very
pleased with how well it works.  I have decided to try using debian live to
make the install environment for unattended.  I made a rough configuration
that seems to work so far.  It's somewhat limited, as it only uses the
nt5x-install script.  The configuration will almost definitely need to be
modified to be used, as it's setup to run on my laptop (actually a VM on the
laptop, I use paella to create the unattended server and use virtualbox's
internal networking to test the system).

Some advantages for using debian live is that it supports creating iso's,
network images, and even images that can be used on a usb drive (such as an
SD card or external hard drive).  It's also much quicker to build, and you
don't need to keep track of upstream sources.  Some disadvantages are that
the image is larger, and it requires using debian to make the image.  The
image that I made with this configuration is around 160M (that's if you use
compression with the mksquashfs options, when I'm testing, I don't compress
the images and you'll need to edit the "binary" file to comment that out at
the bottom to compress the image with the configuration I've attached).

I've also attached a script to help install the virtualbox guest additions to
the machines I've been trying to install.  This is the first script that I
made, and it seems to work pretty well.  When I add the .reboot directive to
it, the installation will fail after rebooting with this error "Unable to
GetUNCName for Z::".  I think that the todo.pl script is adding an extra
colon to the drive letter, but I can't be sure, and I can't understand the
perl well enough to diagnose this.

I am also using the sample-config.pl and unattended.csv to help with dynamic
configuration.  I have noticed that there are problems with passing a "0" as
the value for a couple of properties.  I am going to paste a snippet here to
show you:

# Lookup fdisk_confirm
#$u->push_value ('_meta', 'fdisk_confirm', sub { return
lookup_property('FDiskConfirm'); });
$u->push_value ('_meta', 'fdisk_confirm', 0);

# Lookup edit_files
#$u->push_value ('_meta', 'edit_files', sub { return
lookup_property('EditFiles'); });
$u->push_value ('_meta', 'edit_files', 0);

The corresponding parts of the unattended.csv follows:
"Default","FDiskConfirm","0"
"Default","EditFiles","0"

These lookups seem to fail and cause the install.pl script to ask the
questions anyway.

Anyway, this is basically the sum of my experiences so far.  I hope to
understand how the system works in more detail in the near future.

--
Thanks:
Joseph Rawson