> Hi Folks,
>
> I have read a lot about the procedure of converting a fat32 volume to
> ntfs. I'm using unattended 4.7 with the nt5x-install patch and nearly
> everything wents fine, but ...
>
> The cluster size of the ntfs volume is only 512 bytes small. I figured
> out that this is done by the conversion process, because format.exe
> works as expected and creates a tiny little fat32 partition of 4GB with
> a cluster size of 4096 bytes.
>
> Quote from http://ubertechnique.com/unattended/faq:
> "With Windows XP, Microsoft provides two tools (OFORMAT and CVTAREA) to
> address these problems. [WWW] I asked the FreeDOS folks about running
> OFORMAT under FreeDOS, and [WWW] they responded by adding a switch (/a)
> to FreeDOS FORMAT which does the same thing. Unattended now uses this
> switch, so we get a 4K cluster size after NTFS conversion, at least on
> Windows XP and Server 2003."
>
> I got a properly setup of WinXPSP2, the version of format.exe seems to
> be up to date (otherwise the cluster size of the created fat32 partition
> would be to small, too), and everything else is a dream compared to an
> ordinary installation process.
>
> Please, can anyone tell me at which point exactly I'm too stupid for.
>
> Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor English
> Holger

Come on, please!

I have a bunch of k8 machines with sata drives inside (hot stuff in my
universe) waiting for an unattended install and they scream "Yes We Can,
but only with an appropriate cluster size!"

Or are you ashamed, cause you run "ntfsinfo -m /dev/sda1" and noticed
that you have the same problem? Don't worry. I have plenty of hds
formatted in that manner, but they are not recent enough that I'm worry
about.

Holger