1. if you could give some more info about the part that fails?
http://unattended.sourceforge.net/advanced.php#netboot  should cover all of
the things you need to know about setting up a dhcp-server + tftp-daemon  in
order for it to work with unattended. (the new pxelinux even has graphical
menu's i think, which is a great improvement so non-techies can use it too)

2. no sme here.. i know it exists, but i've never run it

3. these netvista's, do they hang on trying to boot from network? or after
the first reboot? or sometime else?

I agree with you that setting up the 'unattended server'-part can be
overwhelming because of
* the number of components possibly involved (dhcpd, tftpd, samba, dns,
pxelinux, postgresql/mysql)
* correctly populating the i368 and drivers folders
* modifying the unattended.txt
* using site/ - config files
The (unattended) docs about setting up most (if not all) of these components
is pretty good tho. And google can be a very good friend too :)

if someone here would be good at creating .deb or .rpm files, that would
help substantially for new users, but i guess it would have been done
already if someone here was good at it.

Unfortunately, setting up the related components from scripts instead of via
some system-provided config mechanism (like e.g. debconf) would be a lot
more difficult and even more error-prone, so for the time being, you're
"stuck" with figuring it all out yourself. (Which is not necesseraly a bad
thing... it just *can* be time-consuming)

Michael De Groote
ICT-coordinator Sint-Pietersschool Korbeek-Lo
ICT-support Sancta Maria Basisschool Leuven