> $u->>{'_temp'}->{'scan_windrivers_path'} = "/z/drivers/" ;
> I now dont have this line in my config, so I will give it a try. who
> knows. anyway about "up to date unattended"... the latest stable
> version is 4.8 and that cannot select drivers automatically and if in
> svn there are scripts to help it do so, is it close to a new stable
> release? sometimes i test things, but it depends on the time I have...
> who knows, I will see.

I think thats what you are missing. I just impalement this and its
really slick. I like that it only copies over the drivers I need. Rather
then having to use the $oem$/$1 directory structure and all of its
problems. You still need to use the OEM part if you want to install
things that cant be detected. Like printers and such. But thats not a
big deal.

> > some users reported a way to  implemented, but I had not had time to
> > look at it.
> > If I can give me my own opinion on this, I feel that XP will stay for a
> > while, even MS is offering solutions (VirtualPC) to get it working in
> > the long term.
> yes, I agree that the winxp will linger on in corporate environment.
> but with individual user enverironment... well, one cannot even buy a
> computer without w7, so the time of change is really close.
> unfortunatelly... so we are all looking forward to know a way to
> install that unattendedly, too :)

I humbly disagree that XP will stay around for awhile. It is now 3 OS's
behind. its a 8+ year old OS and its showing its age.

MS has always offered solutions to get prior OSs working under a virtual
environment. Well.. from windows 2000 on. Thats why they purchased
virtual PC so that companys would upgrade to windows 2000 from NT4.0.
Point is, its nothing new. its not like M$ is admitting you should stay
with XP.

Did I mention that XP is a 8+ year old OS? thats like from Win 3.0 all
the way to win 2000. In other words, if this was the year 2000, what you
said would be akin to "I feel that win 3.1 will stay around for awhile."

But of course, our definition of "awhile" might be different. i see XP
sticking around for another year, maybe two.

anyways, I doubt this was the first time this question was brought up on
the list. and I know it won't be the last.

Unattended is a fantastic solution for this windows installation
problem. and I really don't want to go to an image based solution ;) But
I might have to. (or go to unattanded-gui but then miss that fancy scan
for drivers in linuxboot bit)

At least thats my two cents. unfortunately i'm not smart enough to
figure out how to get vista and up installed using unattended so I cant
offer any good solutions. Nor can I make a good cost-benefit analysis.
shrug. maybe its not worth it and I can accept that.

You DO agree that at some point in our lifetimes?... we'll have to
figure out how to get windows vista and up installed using unattended
right? I mean, at some point Microsoft is going to stop patching it. and
so many security holes that never been patched will be found that it
would be dumb to keep using it. (like how win95 would be a bad idea to
use on the internet)