I have a working setup with unattended, but I have now gotten a machine
with a network card that isn't recognized. However, this working setup
has been modified by various people who don't work here anymore, and the
unattended kernel has been replaced with something else that I don't
quite know what it is, and can't easily modify due to driver issues.

Thus, I thought it would be a good time to download the latest
unattended (4.8). I moved away the old tftproot directory and installed
the new one and tried booting from the stuff unattended gives me. The
machine boots, but still doesn't find its NIC.

If I unpack initrd, add a couple of lines to etc/modprobe.d/local.conf
to make sure that a couple of drivers are loaded in the correct order,
repack initrd, and try again, the machine not only boots but actually
gets an eth0 as well. Excellent.

Now I restore pxelinux.cfg/default from my old installation, modify it
to use the new kernel from unattended and the initrd I just patched, but
keep all the parameters loading my existing OS installation. This should
be easy.

But no. The unattended installation starts out as it should, asks me a
couple of questions about how to install, and then crashes:

> ERROR: X support not compiled in or not found:
> ERROR: /usr/lib/dosemu/libplugin_X.so: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory

> Linux DOS emulator 1.4.0.0 $Date: 2007-05-05$
> Last configured at Tue Apr 28 18:35:39 CEST 2009 on linux
[...]
> C: HD1, Pri[ 1], CHS=    0-1-1, start=     0 MB, size=  8001 MB
> Press F8 to trace or F5 to skip CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT

and after that the machine reboots (I caught this by recording the
screen in a virtual machine).

What can I do to fix this?

Hans