I suspect you may be looking for a different package to do this.  Perhaps
dnsdist might fit this requirement, as it has the concept of “up” and “down”
for forwarders. Unbound would still live in the path but would treat dnsdist as
the “forwarder” and then dnsdist would select which subsequent forwarder to use
based on a number of different tune-able metrics or tests.

Quad9 uses dnsdist in the opposite configuration, where users terminate on
dnsdist and from there are sent to back-end resolvers of unbound, powerdns, or
bind.

JT