Judy
Maybe what your principal is saying is that you are noticing and naming  what
children are thinking about. That is just being a good teacher...kids need
to know what they have done well... like ..."Joey, when you say that this part
of the book reminded you of _____, you made a connection. Connections are
something we can use to help us to understand our reading. Tell me what you
understand now that you didn't understand before you made the connection."   It
isn't tinkering with their thinking, it is just helping kids to know what  kind
of thinking they are doing and then guiding them to realize what that
thinking has helped them to understand. Does this sound right to you?

I just recently read a manuscript (I was privileged to be asked  to review
new books for Corwin Press...being the girl who can't say no, I do it,  and
they
feed my addiction to professional books by paying me in free books!)  that
talked a lot about fostering engagement. One of the things the text  reminded
me
of was wait time. There is wait time one-  which is how long you wait to call
on someone, and wait time  two--which is how long you wait before you as
teacher  respond to your student's responses. In light of what Ellin is
teaching
us  about the importance of time to think...the need for silence, I found this
an  important point.

My teacher brain worries about what happens when I dwell so long on an  idea
with one student...will I lose all the others? Yet, I can see the potential
power here in teaching for depth. I hope that if I increase the amount  of time
to turn and talk, I will still have the student engagement I desperately
want so that when I call on someone who is an "unusual suspect", I will get
the
depth I want. AND the others will be hanging on every word.
Jennifer

In a message dated 7/6/2008 2:24:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,