Thank you, Jennifer!  I did skip to page 183.  I'm pleased that I figured out
the word with the help of my trusty dictionary.

Now I'm curious if any of you had ever heard this word before you read To
Understand?  Made me wonder how ignorant I am about reading.
Jan

  -------------- Original message from [EMAIL PROTECTED]: --------------