Nancy
This was absolutely fascinating! As I read the article, I realized what
modern technology has done to me and my writing. I find many of my emails are
full of shortened, incomplete sentences with elipsis rather than complete
thoughts.  I do jump from one task to another, one book to  another...(but
maybe
that is just my personality! LOL)
I think it speaks to the importance of what Ellin is saying in To
Understand. We MUST starting giving our children the chance to dwell in ideas,
silent
time to think and a chance to struggle with concepts. There are  tremendous
advantages to our technological age. We can put information in our  student's
hands almost instantaneously! We can network here on this listserv
instantaneously! There is almost no need anymore to visit a brick and  mortar
building to
have access to all a library has to offer. Yet, where else  but at school will
our students have the opportunity to learn in depth? If we  don't do it, who
will?
Thanks for posting this link, Nancy. It was extremely pertinent to our
discussion.
Jennifer
In a message dated 7/23/2008 3:41:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,