I've been reading the archives of the postings for the past two weeks -
'dwelling' in ideas, processing, learning and asking more and more questions!
Yesterday I received the 'key' to the treasure chest in the form of my own
password and by last night I could read all the latest postings!  I was
relieved to see this discussion will continue.  One reading of Ellin's book is
barely a beginning!

I'm new to this process of participating in an online discussion and I'd
welcome suggestions for how to proceed.

We have read that passages written with 'real' main ideas are those written
especially for standardized tests and we've taught this to kids as part of the
test taking genre.  Of course, the test takers use different terms:  main idea
and central idea for example and we've worked to include both terms to
encourage flexibility.

I believe someone out there mentioned being on a committee revising the reading
curriculum based on Ellin Keene's work.  I'm on a committee in my district
doing the same thing.  I would sure like to hear how that is being done in
other places.

Phyllis