I also know that Ellin speaks frequently about children being flexible,
adaptive, and independent in their use of strategies.  I think she refers to
this in To Understand, although I can't check because my copy is now at work.
She watches for students to be independent in their use of a strategy, but also
for them to be able to switch between strategies and know when a certain
strategy is more appropriate for a given text.  Also, they should be able to
"turn down and up the volume" on strategies when needed.
Of course, this is rather theoretical.  One of the things I will be looking at
this year in conferences with kids is how I can notice this.  I'll keep you
posted.....
Dana