Lori
Thanks for your words of advice. Leadership doesn't have to be an
administrative position...and I truly feel that we as teachers can help to
change
things right from where we are now...in the classroom. SO...even though I
eventually may find myself in an administrative position, what I am learning
has
import for me now in the classroom as well.

Yes, there are constructivist schools or at least pockets of constructivism
around. SO...there is hope, Lori. My own instructional facilitator is nudging
me  in that direction even faster than my natural inclinations are taking me!
So...there are good leaders out there who are not caving in to NCLB  pressure
and I am proud to be working for a couple of those  folks. :-) I do know I am
lucky though...those pockets seem to be  dwindling. All the more reason for
we as teachers to understand the importance  of teacher leadership so that we
can advocate for what is best for kids.

Interestingly, I started my career by teaching the way I had been
taught...in a very teacher-directed manner with the thought in my head that I
needed to
give my  students their knowledge. As I began to  learn about how to guide
students to develop their own  understandings...to construct their own
knowledge...I have seen my own  philosophy of education shift. I am not a
constructivist  teacher...yet...but every step I take in giving more control
over the
learning to my students shows me that I am heading in the right direction. The
students are more engaged...and learn more...when I give up more of the control

to them.

I think that few of us could say that we have been taught ourselves in the
way Ellin recommends. We have no examples to guide us...so it is a long journey
 when you have to figure this out for yourself. I will say that the  college
class I have just finished is probably the first one I have  experienced that
was taught by a true constructivist...where the professor  set up reading,
conversations and learning experiences and helped us to develop  our own
learning
community. There was not one lecture the entire three credits  and I learned
more than just leadership in that class...LOL-I learned that  when I grow up,
I want to be a constructivist just  like Dr. Svenning! :-)

Anyway, I actually got to see, for the first time, what a  constructivist
environment could be for adult learners. It was fascinating and  it has me
thinking about what she did to set that up and what I could do to set  up that
same
environment in my own classroom.

I wonder how many of us really have seen or experienced the learning
environment Ellin describes in chapter two. If you are out there...enlighten
us!
What are some things we can do to start developing this wonderful environment
for learning that is the literacy studio? Has anyone taken some baby steps
toward the studio model? What is working? What is not working?

Jennifer

In a message dated 10/25/2008 5:21:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,