When you are new, your first job is to build relationships with your staff.
You need those before you can do much else. I would suggest working hard to
support what the teachers say they need first. Then look for an opening to
address what you want. When I wanted to coteach---plug in instead of pull
out---I looked for an "in". It came when a colleague mentioned that she was
frustrated with the number of kids that went out of her room for reading and
her
feeling that she was unable to meet their needs alone when they were in the
room. I suggested coteaching...and that was the opening I needed to show that
this model really could work.

To bring this back to the purpose of this listserv, it really helps to
coteach when you want to coach someone on an ongoing basis. I plan with and
then
teach side-by-side with colleagues every day. I share my  struggles with
implementing the ideas in To Understand and that does two  things: One-it shows
I am
not an expert and have something to learn from  colleagues and TWO: It got
more of my staff members to read To Understand! (Of  course, it also helped to
have my instructional facilitator push the book at our  regional staff
development---it helped folks to understand the importance of  this work of
Ellin's.)

Is anyone else trying the ideas in To Understand with a colleague?
Jennifer
 In a message dated 11/4/2008 4:27:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,