Ellin writes (pg 87):

"It is evident that children are treated with the deepest respect and
expected to say and do brilliant things every day. They are trusted to solve
their
own problems whenever possible and the reward is a greater sense of  freedom,
more authentic interactions with each other, less need for the teachers  to
set up ways to control behavior."

And
"Classroom community means having a classroom that, visibly and invisibly,
provokes intellectual development in an intimate setting."

I would love to hear everyone's reaction to these statements. I think that
the word "provokes" is an interesting word choice in the last sentence above.
Notice it isn't "promotes intellectual development", Ellin uses provokes. That
 seems a much more active word...we as teachers must set up an environment
to provoke this development.

What are you thinking?
Jennifer
**************Check out smokin’ hot deals on laptops, desktops and more from