It is vital to experience these dimensions for ourselves first.  I'm currently
planning a monthly professional development for 2nd year teachers in our
district.  They have already read MOT and they all have a copy of To
Understand.  The main focus of our group is teaching the comprehension
strategies, but our wise asst. superintendent thought I could incorporate
elements of To Understand into this group.

During our first meeting, I discussed the premise of To Understand with them.
I asked them "How do you know when you truly understand something?", and I
mostly got a lot of blank stares.  So, I left the topic alone for the time
being.  After rereading Ch. 4, I decided that this very activity that Ellin
used is exactly what I need to do with them.  They need to experience
understanding and consciously reflect on that process.  Our next meeting is
Monday and I'm excited to see how they respond.  I'd bet the discussion will be
much different!

I think this same concept - of experiencing it for ourselves - applies equally
to the teaching of the strategies.  Unless we know ourselves what good readers
do, we can't possibly model it for our students.  The other night, my husband
(who has recently started a photography hobby) showed me a picture from a
magazine and just said "look at this picture".  I did, and I commented on it,
but then he said, "didn't you notice this?  and how about how the photographer
did this?" and so on.  I immediately thought - I need to take this picture to
school and share this conversation with my kids!  THIS is how we determine
importance - his purpose for looking at the picture was different from mine,
his knowledge of photography is different from mine - so we each looked at the
picture differently.  Just like readers.  It is through these experiences in my
own life that I'm better able to teach my students.

Dana M.