By the time my sixth graders get to me in middle school, they have usually
experienced so much failure and have "done" school for so long, it is extremely
 difficult to have them see the value of intrinsic rewards. Many of them
display  such a hard core of apathy that appears so well developed that it
seems
impossible to penetrate. But I persevere with my shovels, pick axes, crow
bars,  chisels as well as any other tools of the trade that I can amass and
occasionally just ever so fleetingly I can see something that resembles  a
spark of
recognition that hopefully can be challenged to move toward the  flame of
understanding.

June in the freezer in KY