I loved reading this post, Jen!  It's such a gorgeous discussion of where
strategies can lead. . . you talk about a sense of efficacy which, in the
list of outcomes, I refer to in the outcomes as:

"Show confidence - the ability to discuss and contribute to other's
knowledge about a concept" but I also hear the use of several other outcomes
in your post.  For example:

"Revise knowledge - forgoing previously held knowledge/beliefs in favor of
updated factual information" and

"Sustain - the willingness to sustain interest and attention to the
exclusion of competing or distracting interests" and

"Remember - the sense of permanence that comes with deeply understanding
something - the ability to use something you understand in a new situation"

Generally speaking the outcomes will be invisible and inaudible and the
dimensions will be visible and audible (behaviors).  This isn't always (or
consistently) true, but generally, we want to model the dimensions and think
aloud about the outcomes when teaching them to children.  Thinking aloud is
going to be the better way to make thinking permanent and modeling is going
to be the most effective way to "show" kids the behaviors (dimensions)
associated with understanding.  You definitely describe several of the
dimensions including fervent learning, dwelling in ideas, struggling, and
engaging in discourse.   I think if I had it to do again, I might move a
couple of the dimensions to the outcomes list and vice versa. . .

I'm actually very excited for you, Jen!  This is the kind of intellectual
exercise that changes one's life forever.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

ellin

All right, Ellin. How about this one?

I am taking some very challenging coursework right now. The course is called
Disciplined Inquiry 1 and involves statistical methods and methods for
qualitiative and quantitative research. I started out completely intimidated
by the math and by the difficulties inherent in the reading I need to do for
this course.  The text book is highly technical and we are reading just
reams and reams of  additional research but with a critical eye. We are
analyzing research methodologies, critiquing researcher's interpretations
and completing our own literature review where we must identify gaps in the
research.

I haven't worked so hard to understand something in my life, ever.  I
decided to pay some special attention to what it is taking me to understand.

SO... yes, there are many reading/thinking strategies...rereading, making
connections and two column notetaking figure heavily into my work...

There has certainly been struggle as I try to undestand, dwelling in ideas,
rigorous discourse with classmates and I do find myself looking for
patterns. But the most interesting thing I have noticed about my process for
understanding...and I am not sure whether or not it is a dimension or an
outcome of understanding (I really don't think I get that distinction
yet...) ...is a feeling of efficacy. I feel a sense of power that comes from
my newfound knowledge. That "can do" feeling also comes from the sense that
now know I can tackle and master something that is inherently difficult for
me. I like reading research now and  I like not skipping over the
methodology and the statistical analysis which used to mean nothing to me. I
like being able to see the strengths and weaknesses in a particular research
study and thinking about how it fits in with the broader spectrum of
research on a particular topic.

  I think most of all, I like being able to demonstrate for my students that
yes reading strategies do work for adults too...and that learning to read
continues for adults. We all get better and learn to understand more by
exercising that muscle in your brain through struggling to understand
challenging material. It is worth the struggle... and it feels GREAT! (Much
to my own surprise!)

Now I must go and read some more...my literature review for my final paper
will surprise no one who has been on this list a while...Lesson study! :-)