I’m glad and scared to announce a new public release of Fontmatrix. I hope
you’ll continue to enjoy it.

Source package :
http://www.fontmatrix.net/archives/fontmatrix-0.3.0-Source.tar.gz
Signature :
http://www.fontmatrix.net/archives/fontmatrix-0.3.0-Source.tar.gz.asc
md5sum :
http://www.fontmatrix.net/archives/fontmatrix-0.3.0-Source.tar.gz.md5

We've invited Harfbuzz to the party.

Harfbuzz is a libary to discover and use advance OpenType features
and its aim is to enable better support for non-Latin languages.
At the moment, only the basic transformations are working now.
Moreover, non-latin languages handling is not yet functionnal.
For now, you can see and preview features present in OpenType GPOS
and GSUB tables. If you just arrived from Mars, it means giving
access to ligatures, optical small caps, old style figures and
generally what’s called "fine typography" - even if
it will be you cannot enjoy it in all applications currently.

Why Harfbuzz?

It’s yet part of Pango and Qt and aimed to be the standard FLOSS
text layout componment. Moreover, Scribus team wants it for its
non-latin rendering engine and Fontmatrix is definitly the
Scribus’ user font manager :) But supporting other layout engines
such as ICU or M17 wont be forgotten, just a matter of spare time.

Freetype Rendering

As expected and experienced by early users of Fontmatrix, rendering
glyphs at small size without a specific engine just results in ugliness.
Little by little, we tend to use Freetype (we have to repeat here how
this piece of software is excellent, thanks for it) more and more.

Systray
Some might think it’s kind of gadget, but beyond its own and obvious
utility, systray icon stands for "Hey, I don’t eat 500Mb of memory
anymore, leave me alone!"

Multiple Text Samples
Among a lot of UI improvements, the ability to maintain a set of
samples is what I’d like to emphasize. It saved me a lot of time,
I hope it will be the same for you.