> A classic example of this problem occurred to me a few months ago when my
8 y/o
> son tried to set the clock on some electronic device and the icon looked
like
> an analog clock, sort of.  It was a circle with dots around the border and
> a couple of lines.  I immediately recognized it because I grew up with
analog
> clocks, but my son didn't make the connection until I explained it to him.
> When I explained it, he said, "That's stupid, clocks don't look like
that!"
> We speak the same language, live together, and the only difference is my
age and past
> experience yet he has to 'learn' a new symbol whereas I 'recognized' the
symbol.

Another example of obsolete paradigms: last week while installing software
for
my laptop I suddenly realized that the icons representing the new software
were
those of diskettes -- but I was of course using CD-ROMs as the installation
media.
Oh, how time flies.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>