Doug Ewell wrote:

> 2.  (Ken and Glenn) Can you explain in a little more detail the rationale
>     for lowercasing the entire language tag?  It seems that if RFC 1766
>     is the model to be followed, then the RFC 1766 casing convention
>     (lowercase for language, uppercase for country) might be preferred.

(Non-authoritative response)

That convention is fine for writing tags, but not so fine for checking them.
If you are given a tag with random capitalization, it is far easier to canonicalize
it to all lower case rather than by the RFC 1766 suggestion, which operationally
is:

        If the tag is of the form xx-yy, then lowercase xx and uppercase yy;
        otherwise lowercase everything.

In addition, as the space of tags grows, we might also have to handle xxx-yy
as well.

Personally, I always use all-lower-case tags: en-us.  Note that this is not
the same as the locale en_US, which uses uppercase "US" and an underscore.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>