Ken Krugler wrote:

> I thought that UCS-2 was by definition big endian

It's big-endian by *default*.  If you have a BOM, you can determine the
polarity directly, but putting a BOM in every file name would be silly.
Windows file systems will only be used on LE machines, so storing everything
as LE is sensible (and is what Unicode calls a "higher-level protocol").

> 1. Could it be using UTF-16LE? I tried creating an entry with a
> surrogate pair, but the name was displayed with two black boxes on a
> Windows 2000-based computer, so I assumed that surrogates were not
> supported.

Probably not.  So technically it *is* UCS-2 (LE) rather than UTF-16LE.

> 3. And finally, why are file names case-insensitive for characters in
> the U-0000 to U-00FF range, but not for any other characters? OK,
> maybe I can guess at the answer to that one...

Case insensitivity is a backwards-compatibility hack, basically.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>