Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 4:22 PM
Subject: Display Persian characters under Linux
 Hi,

this is my firts email to the Unicode email list. There is a lot I want to learn from you all. So even if my questions are sometimes stupid, nevertheless I like to read your answer on all issues.

My goal turning my interest on Unicode is to get Persian letters on my Monitor and into a database lets say in Oracle8i.
The operating system will be Linux. So, what I have done until now is to buy the Unicode Standard 3.0. But that is not enough and therefore I need your help.

What steps do I have to do to get my dream real. Yes, I have several character sets on my machine but they are all european one. And honestly I am a little bit afraid to touch them, since I dont know the different between a character set and unicode.

Reading the first pages of the book, makes me more confuse. There is something talken about rendering. It seems when I use the ARABIC letters I have to concern on rendering.

Is there anybody who can give me a quickstart to get rid of confusing charsets, unicode, rendering etc.? I know I have to put more time on this issue and I am prepared for this. But a little success would really motivate me.

best regards
Darya Said-Akbari